Saturday 17 November 2018

Odds & Ends...


Little practical progress this week, so just a few odds and ends...

I've mentioned my enthusiasm for artillery - the quirkier the better.  Here's an example.


It'll need some sort of platform built around it to look as though it could be loaded.  It's a little too cumbersome for a small battlefield, and will have to be in a fixed defensive position, or possibly a siege. 


This one's still a heavy piece of ordnance, but slightly more practical.  I don't know which country it historically actually came from, but it'll fit in fine with one of my dreamt-up forces.

Speaking of dreamt-up forces, here's another example.


There wouldn't have been many Japanese fighting in even the most far-flung borders of early 18th Century Europe (!), but this small Squadron will be mercenaries accompanying the Ottomans.

Another move away from historical forces is I'll have lots of skirmishers/light infantry.  In those days, there weren't many, and most of them were undisciplined or untrustworthy.  Mine will vary in quality, but many will be good.  



The reason for my ignoring historical reality is simply I often have a small number of particular Minifigs which wouldn't be enough to form a regiment.  I think it would be a shame to waste them!

Sort of half way between regulars and the less effective light infantry are the militias.  


Like militias through the ages, they'll vary in quality, perhaps even during the same battle.  But again, they'll enable me to use odd lots of figures.

But the mainstay of the armies will, of course, be disciplined uniformed regulars.


At the moment, most of my Regiments are divided into three bases.  I'm seriously considering putting them on just one long base.  I realise this will not allow them to go into column; cross fords and bridges; pass through defiles; etc., but with the small battlefields my 6 x 4 table will allow, they would be close to the enemy from the start and in line 90+% of the time anyway.  As I'll be playing solo, fudging crossing bridges, etc., wouldn't lead to any problem.

In my wargaming of years ago, bases got separated as casualties occurred and the figures were handled more often leading to bent bayonets, pikes and swords.  I don't know at the moment whether I will have a Regiment all on one base - perhaps it's just a passing idea and I'll stick to tradition.

I must get back to producing and finishing off (still very few flags, for example) what I need to wargame.  I've been partly distracted by trying to install extra fixed lighting above where I model and paint.  When (if!) I get it all wired in, it'll let me see things better and get things done more quickly.

One last thing...  Not long after I started tonight's blog, it just disappeared.  I've no idea why.  I'd been saving it after every few lines or a picture.  Perhaps I accidently clicked on something I shouldn't.  I just did the blog again.  But - more worryingly - the previous week's blog disappeared as well!  That had been saved as well, but it's completely disappeared, and I can't find it anywhere.  I assumed once a blog was on the internet, it would stay there, saved in some Blogger computer wherever they're based.  But obviously not.  I'm new to blogging, so will see if there's a "Help" page I can get onto.

UPDATE - the previous blog has reappeared.  I don't know what's going on!  Nothing new there, then...





3 comments:

  1. Eclectic is not a big enough word to describe where this is going ;-)

    Wonder full stuff alik... I am certainly looking forward to your first battle.


    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, wonderful stuff. I really like your blend of figures. I thought I was the only one, but I never thought of including samurai before. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aly & Pierre,

    Thanks for your comments. Yes - my setup certainly has an unusual mixture of soldiers and equipment. But I do intend to have fairly historical results of battles. While I veer to the game and modelling side of wargaming rather than simulation, all the "technical" aspect of rules (Movement rates; Firing ranges; etc.) will be reasonable. Things like Morale and Command & Control may be slanted more to suit my reading of these aspects, and the fact I'll be playing solo. The rules will be coloured by a mixture of "Beneath the Lily Banner" and "Honours of War" (I realise these have slightly different scales).

    If you're still reading this blog when finally I'm ready to do battles, suggestions for initial moves and general intentions would be welcome.

    My current brake on actually getting to battle is not the figures or terrain, but the need to clear a space in the back bedroom! I've many boxes of figures and terrain strewn around, and over 500 copies of "Wargames Illustrated", "Miniature Wargames" and other magazines and books piled up. I'll just have to steel myself and clear a 6 x 4 space. Yes - I'll do it...

    ReplyDelete