Sunday 9 December 2018


Plattzdorf Village

       Open At Last...



The buildings don't look too obviously flat card when you're distracted by the vegetation and odds and ends lying around (or am I just kidding myself!).

   I hope I've got a reasonable balance between number of buildings required to   depict a village and available footprint space on the table.





I'm starting to compile rules.  I've done the cover - that's the easy part...


When thinking about the rules, it dawned on me I may not be really wanting early 18th C battles at all!  I don't want just long lines of soldiers advancing towards each other.  I want individual Regiments and Brigades being given objectives, perhaps then being followed up by longer lines of troops.  

This is more like Napoleonic and ACW ("Impulse" I think you call it) actions.  I was never too worried about "historical simulations", but it seems I'm moving even more to just a game which happens to use nice (I hope) figures and terrain.




But I'm not losing all contact with history.  Having been given a WH Smith gift card, I saw they had this book and bought it.  I'm not concentrating on the Russian Army, but it'll give me some useful background information.

The uniform illustrations are very good, although I'd hoped for more.  And, although they're very "artistic", for my purposes and level of detail required (not to mention painting ability) more basic graphic illustrations would have sufficed.



But, really, no complaints about spending £20 on the book at all - I'm looking forward to learning much more than I do at present.  Some people much more knowledgeable than I rate it highly.

So - not a huge amount of practical progress in my wargame project (I'm retired - you'd think I'd have all the time in the world) - and I'm away for another week.  When I was away last week, I did stick lots of flags to their staffs, and will do some more over the next few evenings as I don't need much in the way of space and  tools to do that.  






3 comments:

  1. Your village looks great Alik
    The buildings blend well with your basing... I once used card buildings (Superquick HO/OO scale) for Battle of the Bulge game... once covered in snow nobody noticed.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a good bit of modelling - I like your eye for detail, such as the water pump and trough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aly and Pierre … sorry for the delay in replying to your comments - I've been away all week with no secure (or even reasonable speed) internet.


      I too have used Superquick buildings in the past. In those days, you could get thick embossed card with real textures, which made it easier to get the roofs, slates and tiles more realistic. As mentioned before, I'd intended to use 3D buildings I'd made myself. But I've less time to spend on wargaming than I thought, so will continue to use the card ones in the foreseeable future. I was horrified to realise I started this project about 3 months ago and am still not ready to go!


      The water pump and trough was put together very quickly with milliput and - a lucky find - a rawlplug different to the usual round shape. My problem with it was I realised I'd no idea what colour water would look like in shadow in a stone trough. So, in the end, I just painted it black gloss. I'm sure that's not realistic, but it'll have to do for the moment.


      I've started on the backstory and OOBs for the battle/campaign. These are not as urgent as the modelling side of things, but I can think about them when away from the house.


      Alex


      Delete