Sunday 7 October 2018

Minifigs Battles - Getting Ready






Having been an "Armchair General" for many years, keeping up with wargaming by reading magazines and browsing the internet, I've decided to once more lead the troops into battle in a late 17th / early 18th Century Imaginations campaign.  I was always drawn into the Charles Grant(s) / Peter Young type of setup.


Despite admiring the current ranges of wonderful figures, I'm going to remain loyal to my trusty 25mm Minifigs.  I know they went out of fashion years ago, and were even scorned by many wargamers (horses' rear ends were a common complaint!), but I still like them.  They were, it was said, too rigid and static in their design.  That's precisely why I like them.  I like the toy soldier type line of shiny figures all in one pose.  Shiny?  Yes - all mine are gloss varnished! 




It's taking a while to rebase them from plain green painted bases to flocked ones with added tufts and the occasional stone.  Figures glued down with PVA are not too difficult to remove by soaking overnight, but ones stuck down with other types of glue are more of a struggle.  The bases are going to be 5mm or 6mm thick - fairly unusual in the UK, although more common in the US, I believe.  





As well as preparing figures, I've to gather buildings and terrain.  The hills will be the stepped type made from 1" polystyrene coated with acrylic sealant.  Trees will be from a variety of commercial producers.  Walls and hedges will be a mixture of bought and made by me.



Buildings, for a start, will be the very good home printed card ones designed by Dave Graffam, as shown below.



Eventually, I'll get round to making my own, in Tony Harwood's style (Dampf's Modelling Page).  In the meantime, I've just started working on converting an extremely garish fish tank ornament to an abandoned castle.




To get me started with an achievable aim, the first battle will be an adaptation of Donald Featherstone's "Plattville Valley" from his "Wargames" book.  I'll know what I have to get together in the way of troops and terrain.  This not too big a task will encourage me to actually get going.

In fact, the main purpose of this blog is to ensure I'll keep working on figures and terrain, by having to show progress regularly.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with comments and suggestions.  Thanks.







9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! It certainly helps me to maintain an interest in wargaming, even when the enthusiasm wanes every so often ... as it sometimes can..

    I have quite a few Minifigs in my collections and can see nothing wrong with them.

    I like your re-paint job on the castle. I did something similar with a castle that I bought from an aquarium shop although mine has yet to feature in a wargame.

    All the best,

    Bob Cordery

    https://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The castle is something of a distraction. None of the wargames in the pipeline feature a castle, but it's bound to come in handy sometime...

      Delete
  2. Great start! Going to be looking out for a castle myself now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cheap, the right scale and had potential. I couldn't resist it! At the same time, I bought a fishtank ornament of a ruined Greek temple. This will be a little bit harder to incorporate into a 17th / 18th Century mid-European wargame - but I'll find a way!

      Delete
  3. Hi Alik...
    Welcome to the blogosphere...
    I am still very fond of Minifigs so I am looking forward to seeing how this project will progress...

    Have you seen this book from Hellion

    https://www.helion.co.uk/european-buildings-28mm-paper-models-for-18th-and-19th-century-wargames.html

    There are some very nice buildings.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for guiding me to the book. I see from the cover the buildings definitely are the type and scale I could use but - in my usual overenthusiasm when starting a project - I bought about 15 card download buildings from Dave Graffam (Wargame Vault were having a sale). Considering I'll seldom have more than 4 or 5 on the table at any one time, I'll use these in the meantime. But thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. On retirement, I have returned to figure painting where I left off in the mid-70s. I still really like the Minifigs and Hinchliffe ranges, together with Dixons and some plastice from Zvezda. I am building an Ottoman force, I am painting at the rate of maybe 4 or 5 hours per week, progress is slow but there is no rush. I shall be reading your blog with some interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest. I've quite a few Minifigs Ottomans and, frustratingly, another 40 or so archers I bought some time ago and cannot find! They're in the house somewhere and I wish I could find them - I've been thinking about the relative effect of bows versus muskets. I got some useful opinions about this on TMP a while ago.

      I like the Minifig Ottoman figures in general and one particular reason (I'm ashamed to admit) is they don't have belts and straps... I'm not very good at painting belts and straps neatly.

      I've a few Hinchliffe cavalry which fit in with the Minifigs if you don't look too closely!

      I hope your return to painting goes well.

      Delete