Sunday 28 October 2018

Slowly but surely - though being distracted



I'm still working away at gathering the things I require for my Plattzdorf battle.  But, as I hunt through cupboards and drawers, I'm coming across figures not necessary for the battle but which I can't resist basing.  The picture above is one such group.  There are no Sappers/Engineers/Pontooneers in the Platzzdorf OBs, but I like doing little groups.

However, I have produced some relevant items...


I've done a few fields, and a good number of trees (I've still to darken down the rocks outside this field)


You'll see from the above photo, and many others, I've still to finish most bases.  I should have finished the bases of the individual figures before sticking them onto the big bases, as it's difficult to get in between the figures without coating legs with flock.  Taking the easy way out as usual, I'll have to hope any bare patches between close order figures look like shadows!  By the way, I'm sticking the figures down on acrylic sealant which look like rough ground when flocked.  

Some more figures.  The first photo shows Huns (Hinchliffe, I think)


The second shows ACW Zouaves.


Huns and Zouaves!!!  In an early 18th Century battle!!!  OK - not for the purist.  Or even the reasonably sensible wargamer.  The simple answer is I've figures from ancient to ACW, and I don't want to waste them!  You can see why I'll be wargaming solo.

And for an ImagiNation campaign, I can persuade myself (if no one else) that an obscure country in the far reaches of (possibly) south east Europe would have mercenaries from even more obscure countries.  And there are quite a lot of Ottoman units which may also have brought along some unusual allies from their backwaters.

So my armies will have figures from Ancient; Medieval, Renaissance; Seven Years War; Napoleonic and ACW periods, in addition to the more historical late 17th/early 18th Century one.

Silly I know, but I'm still going to do it.  I saw an appropriate phrase in an old "Wargames Illustrated" from someone explaining his approach to wargaming... "toleration of idiosyncrasy"!  That'll do me.

Another anachronism I'm guilty of is too much artillery.  And, like the figures, I've to come up with a reason for having so many.  I've about 30 cannon from various periods (not to mention a Chinese "big arrow" thing) and can't resist buying different kinds.  In any small wargame of the period, there should be perhaps 3 or 4 cannon models per side.  I don't yet know how I'm going to introduce more.












On the other hand, something I don't have too much of is flags.  Very few of my regiments have them yet and I'm still gathering flags from all over the internet, and some heraldry books.  I should have taken a note of which sites I got them from but regrettably didn't.  However, I'm really grateful to the people who put them on their sites for anyone to use.


Like the figures, they come from many countries and periods.



The above ones will be the Royal flags of each side (it's a civil war, hence the similarity).  The black lines are not meant to be there.  Each unit will have a Royal flag and a Regimental flag.  I had thought of making big flags in the "League of Augsburg" style, but storage in file boxes would be difficult, so they'll be just the scale 6 feet size approximately.


Well, that's all for tonight.  The photos certainly have less obvious reflections since using Aly's suggestion of a light tent.  It's 24 inches wide so, until I'm taking photos of an actual wargame area larger than 24 inches, that'll be a big improvement.








6 comments:

  1. That is a phrase I like, "toleration of idiosyncrasy", it has a good ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, certainly it gives me an excuse to justify any unusual wargaming decisions I may make. And it means I don't have to feel ashamed of my painting standards of 50 years ago!

      Delete
  2. There’s nothing wrong with your mix of toys... it’s your imagi-nation after all.
    Brigadier PeterYoung had British Royal Horse Artillery in his 18th century army ... so you are following in the footsteps of giants.
    The light tent makes a big difference doesn’t it.


    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I've always liked that photo in "Charge" showing the RHA Battery guns, Gunners; NCOs and Officer deployed for action. The problem with my own artillery figures is, despite having lots and lots, I don't think I've two guns and crews painted the same, so can't come up with a photo like the RHA one.

      Delete
  3. ❄THE HACK GEEKS❄
    thehackgeeks@gmail.com
    ✴Have you been looking for a hacker to help you hack someone phone, email or social media accoun?📱📲
    ✴Have you been wanting to clear some criminal records from government agencies?🖥📝
    ✴Do you wish to make some extract cash by mining bit coin?💰
    ✴ Do you wish to change your credit score records?📝
    ✴Do you want to clear some credit/debit cards debt?💵💳
    Then you should contact ❄THE HACK GEEKS❄ now.
    ❄THE HACK GEEKS❄ is an organization of explicit HACKERs, we give the best hacking service there ever is.
    We have TOP HACKERS all over the world ready to hack for you with a grauntee of good HACKING records.
    All our How HACKERS(⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ HACKERS) are the top in the Hack forum HackerOne and will get the job before you can say Jack Robinson.
    Contact:
    thehackgeeks@gmail.com
    WE LOOK FORWARD TO HACKING FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok - please put a couple of thousand pounds in my bank account, and I'll buy two painted armies of Minden figures. And while I'm at it, I'll have two armies of Empress Miniatures ECW figures.

      I wonder if I ought to moderate comments? Probably not worth it until I'm swamped with spam.

      Delete